The Mislabeled Specimen Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Dual homes in a single property

I have a home in a small town with a 0.65 acre lot.  I have enough space on my yard to build a small house.  Are there any rules against building a second house on the same property?  Is this more of a city regulation versus a real estate situation?

Ferdie Rodriguez has reacted to this post.
Ferdie Rodriguez

You need to check your city ordinance, specifically planning and zoning or building codes department.  It will possibly be under “guest house”—at least that’s what we call it here in our city. You also need to know the zoning for your property, in order to get an accurate answer. Most city ordinance will have a list of what’s allowed in each zone (residential, industrial, commercial, agricultural, etc).

If they allow a guest house, there will be things to consider, like the maximum square footage (must be smaller than your primary), set backs from the property lines, distance from your primary house, height, etc. 

You may also need a building permit for this, and may need an actual contractor to build it—really depends on the city ordinance. 

Ian has reacted to this post.
Ian

Thanks for that info.  I will consult city hall on this.  Thanks for the help 👍🏻

In most cases, the ability to build a second house on your property depends on local zoning regulations and building codes rather than real estate conventions. You'll need to check with your town or county government to see if there are any restrictions or requirements for adding another dwelling on your lot. These regulations typically fall under city or municipal jurisdiction, as they govern land use and development within their boundaries.

Thank you very much.  Yeah, I figured it will be more of a local zoning thing.  It was just a thought that I discussed with my wife.  At least now we know what our next step would be.  thank you!

Share to Social: